My Gallery

Welcome to Pikay's Gallery

I'm a self-taught crocheter/knitter that's always hunger to learn more. A mammoth thank you to all fellow crocheter/knitter that took their time to post videos and written tutorial. It wouldn't have been possible without your contribution! THANK YOU!

2/18/2012:

Wow! Another year slipped by...how time flies when you're knitting :) It's obvious, I've been slacking on my blog update. Last post was 4/27/11! I'm officially an occasional blogger only. What I slack off in blog, I more than made-up in knitting and crocheting. Most of my projects are somewhat recent on Ravelry.

Major milestone for 2011:

Shelliyanni went live on 8/6/11. My first knitting pattern for sale.

All patterns here are for personal and charitable use only. Please do not sell the patterns or the finished project. Thank you for honoring this request.



Toddler Crocs




I created this crocs based on the actual Croc that my son is starting to ourgrew. His original crocs was meant for outdoor used, but he kept bringing them in to wear indoors. Outside shoes are not permitted at home coz for obvious reason, goodness know what sort of stuff that shoe has stepped on being outdoor. So I made these for him.

9/22/10: Made correction to add right-side sole
When I made these, my son doesn't know left from right. So I didn't attempt to make a right-sided sole ;) It wasn't till I made his summer booties that I realize it's easy as flipping to the WS or in the croc's case, crochet in the front loop.



Size: 2T + (Finished Sole is 6.5")
Hook: G (4 mm)
Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver or any bulky or medium worsted yarn.

Stitches used:
Hdc – yo, insert hook into st, yo and pull up a lp, yo and pull through all 3 lps

Dc dec – yo, insert hook into st and pull up a lp, yo and pull through 2 lps, yo, insert hook into next st and pull up a lp, yo and pull through 2 lps, yo and pull through all 3 lps

NOTE:
I used 2 strands of yarn for the sole. It is very tight to crochet given the hook I used, but this gives a thick sole that holds up its shape. The results are worth my slightly sore hands :) Alternately, you could crochet 2 pieces of the sole and sew them together. I'm just not a sewing person ;)



Sole:
Ch 18
Rnd 1
Sc 10 from 2nd  ch, hdc in next, dc in next 4, 2 dc in next, 5 dc in last ch.
Work on the opposite of ch, 2 dc in next, dc in next 4, hdc in next, sc in next 10. (39 sts). Sl st to 1st beg ch.

Rnd 2
Hdc in next 10, dc in next 4, (dc in next, 2 dc in next)2x, (2 sc in next)3x, (dc in next, 2 dc in next)2x, dc in next 4, hdc in next 10 (47 sts). Sl st to next st.

Rnd 3
(2 sc in next)2x, sc in next 42, (2 sc in next)2x. (50 sts). Sl st to next st. Fasten off 1 strand of yarn.

Side:
Using only 1 strand from here on, and do not join. Use marker on first st of every round.
Rnd 1
Work in back loop (only for this rnd) - sc all around sole including the sl st sticth (51 sts)
Left shoe - work sc all around sole including the sl st stitch in BACK lp (51 sts)
Right shoe - work sc all around sole including the sl st stitch in FRONT lp (51 sts)
Rnd 2
Sc all around (51 sts)

Rnd 3
Sc 39 ( It's probably easier to just count 12 backwards from the marker), turn. Will proceed to the shoe top next. When top is finished, will cont. to finish the rest of the side.

Top:
Rnd 1:
Work in front loop (only for this rnd) - Sc in 2nd st, hdc in next, dc in next, dc in next 4, (dc dec, dc in next 2)3x, dc in next 4, dc in next, hdc in next, sc in next, turn

Rnd 2:
Sc in 2nd st, hdc in next, dc in next, (dc dec)2x, (dc in next, dc dec)3x, dc dec, dc in next, hdc in next, sc in next, turn

Rnd 3:
Sc in 2nd st, hdc in next, dc in next, (dc dec)4x, dc in next, hdc in next, sc in next, turn.

Rnd 4:
Sc in 2nd st, hdc in next, dc in next, dc dec, dc in next, hdc in next, sc in next.

Finishing Off:
Sl st on the post of turning ch of shoe top (4 sl sts), sl st to the stitch where the sc of the shoe side stops. Cont to sc 12 to marker.
Sl st to 1st sc (where marker is) of the row 3 of sc made earlier. Cont. to sl st all to way to the top of shoe. Sl st top of shoe and all the way to the other side of shoe and sl st at marker. Fasten off.

Straps:
Ch 22
2 sc in 2nd ch and 1 sc in all the ch, except 2 sc in the last ch. Work on the opposite of ch, 2 sc in the next ch, 1 sc in all ch, except 2 sc in the last ch. Sl st to 1st ch to join.

Attach straps to side of shoe along with buttons or crocheted accessory of your choice.
Add Puffy Paint to make your newly made crocs non-skid.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

beautiful! Congratulations on your first pattern!!!
8-)

missro007 said...

These are precious!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! This pattern is great. My little one really loves her new "swippers!" :)

pikay said...

Thanks all for your kind words and encouragement. I'm glad the pattern works out. If you are on Ravelry, do post some pics of your "swippers" ;)

Ollie's Boutique said...

This is a great pattern! I made a few sets for the toddlers I take care of (home daycare) to keep their feet warm in my house, and gifts to take home as well. Thanks for sharing it.

Christine Smith said...

I love all of your patterns....was glad to find your site. I have yet to find a single one of your patterns that wasn't easy to read and craft and they have all gotten my kids seal of approval. A lot of the patterns out there are very old fashioned, but your patterns actually look like something you'd find in a retail store. My kids wear your croc shoes all the time! Look forward to more patterns from you to make.

pikay said...

Ollie & Christine,
Thank you very much! I'm glad you like it. :)

Anonymous said...

These are so cute! But just wondering: how did you do the stars on the bottom?
--Ash

pikay said...

Hi Ash,
Thanks! The stars were drawn with Puffy Paint. Then apply heat to it, and it will puff up. Thus created a little friction that helps make the slipper non-skid. Here's some info about Puff Paint.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the info! as soon as I'm done making sweaters for my 2 little ones I'm going to make these.
--Ash

Renim said...

Hi - I have one quick question...I have always struggled with the friction needed on the bottoms of slippers for the kids. Does the puff paint ever rub off on things and leave the color behind (where you don't want it...the rug, other flooring...)??
Thanks! I love this pattern! I have a little girl and two little boys. I am working on a whole collection of these! :)

-Renim (ravelry)

pikay said...

Hi Renim,
When completely dry, it will harden up, and won't leave color behind. My son had put his crocs to the test by really sliding and grinding, and even used it to wear as a "glove" and slide it across our kitchen floor. (off course it doesn't "slide" too well as the puffy clings to hard surface). The puffy still held up. Others have mention that because of wear and tear, it may peel off over long period of time, especially if its being wash very often.

pk

Unknown said...

thank you soo much for this pattern! I found this pattern this am and just finished a pair for my two year old son, I love love love them :)

pikay said...

Lora,
Thank you. I'm really glad you're enjoying it.

pk

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting the free pattern! It is fabulous:) I have included it on my blog Karla's Making It (linking to your pattern, of course)! You can view it here http://www.karlasmakingit.com/free-crochet-patterns/free-crochet-baby-bootie-patterns/